Thursday, February 08, 2007

Duke falls to UNC

It was a typical game in this storied rivalry. It doesn't matter that one team is better on paper than the other, each team is even when they step out on the floor. UNC didn't take the lead till a little over five minutes left. However, they never let the lead go after that. UNC beats Duke for the second straight time at Cameron.

Scheyer, Henderson, and Paulus were amazing, and the reason that Duke lead most of the game. Scheyer had 26 when he fouled out late in the game. Henderson looked great with 14 points. And Paulus scored 15 of his own, even though he shot 5-17 from the floor. The lack of play from McRoberts and Nelson was what hurt us. These two guys haven't been much of a factor lately, and the result is a three game losing streak. Crucial free throws being missed late in the game was the deciding factor in this game.

I tip my cap to UNC. They could of crumbled and went away, but those pesky Tar Heels did what they had to do to win. For the most part Hansborough was shut down, but still managed to help the Heels win. A big reason they won was the play of freshmen Brandon Wright. This was my first opportunity to watch him for an entire game, and he impressed me. He ended up with 19 points.

So now Duke is .500 in the ACC, and riding a three game losing streak. However, I have some thoughts on this team that others might not agree with.

This isn't a "vintage" Duke team, in the sense that they will run you out with their offense and kill you on defense. However, like every other Duke team before them, they always show up ready to play. They gave it everything they had last night, and always seem to come up short. I love this team, and I am proud to cheer for them. I don't care what their record is, or people saying that Duke is done. These kids never seem to let it get to them. I have criticized every single one of these players at one time or another, but I will never question there overall play. They represent Duke basketball like you should. I challenge anyone who wants to put them down. I will cheer for this team for the rest of the season. And when it is all said and down, I will wear my Duke jersey's in pride.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go duke!IT MAY NOT BE THE BEST TEAM EVER BUT WE WILL SUPRISE TEAMS IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home